Thank you to Nathaniel
Behind the Business: Urban Mattress
1. What is your business, and what is your role within this company?
I own two Urban Mattress stores—one in Vienna since 2013 and the one I just opened this summer in Leesburg. We sell mattresses and various bedding accessories and pride ourselves on investing in our local community and actually making it fun to buy a mattress. As a franchisee, I’m the first to bring the company to the East Coast and am happy to say we’ve been very warmly received out here!
2. How did you get involved in this business?
I heard about Urban Mattress from a friend who’d opened a few successful stores in Denver. I instantly fell in love with the story and business model that allows me to do something meaningful and good in an industry that historically has been kind of shady. Because we give 2% of each sale to local charities, I get to give back to my community while running a successful business, and I get to help my neighbors get better sleep. It can totally change someone’s life if they get a good night’s sleep and they wake up well. All around, the business really reflects who I am as a person, so it’s a great fit.
3. What is your background, and how did you get to where you are today? ( i.e.: college, prior work, family, etc.)
My background is eclectic. I studied exercise science at Virginia Tech and owned my own business in that industry for a while, then joined corporate America. I spent a number of years selling real estate in Colorado’s ski resorts, but when the market crashed in 2008 that clearly wasn’t the business to be in anymore. My wife, Amanda, and I decided to make a fresh start and move out here. We chose the DC area because we wanted to be closer to both of our families—Amanda is from Coopersburg, PA and I’m from Virginia Beach. We also love the city and the culture here.
4. What is your favorite part about this business?
Being able to engage locally and to give back to local work we care about.
5. What is the hardest part about being in this business, or a challenge that you face on a regular basis?
Logistics. We pride our selves on same day or next day delivery. Sometimes it is almost impossible to do that given the traffic constraints of our area. We cover the entire DC Metro, so sometimes its hard to make a delivery in National Harbor and then be out in Leesburg depending on the time of day.
6. If you could tell other members of the Loudoun community one sentence about your company, what would it be?
We carry a hand-picked selection of beds at competitive prices (we’re part of the largest mattress-buying group in the U.S. so we get great savings), try hard to understand individual customer’s needs and never use pushy sales tactics like most mattress stores are known for.
7. What is your favorite thing about living in Loudoun? Is there a favorite thing you and your family like to do on the weekends?
We love Loudoun County! We love enjoying the countryside, First Fridays in Leesburg, wine tastings at the vineyards. Just all of it.
8. Why did you decide to open an Urban Mattress in Leesburg?
Our Vienna store was so successful that it was time to expand, and Leesburg was a place that we loved and wanted to invest in. In fact, Amanda and I decided to move here right before we opened the store.
Thank you, Nathaniel! Check out Urban Mattress’ website here.