With the seasons changing, it can spark to us get moving! What kind of exercise do you love to do? What do you look forward to instead of dread or go through the motions? There are so many ways to exercise that all have exponential benefits. Check out these ideas, and I challenge you to try something new. Better yet, try them all and see if you fall in love with exercise!
- Walk/Run: With the longer and warmer days, it is a great time to lace up the sneakers and hit the pavement. Do you need to run to get the benefits of exercise? Absolutely not! Grab a friend, furry or otherwise, and get the legs moving. Breathing the fresh air is an extra benefit of getting outside, and be sure to pump your arms. Don’t know where to start? Treehouse Fit offers run training programs that will set you up for success. (Find all Health and Wellness Chamber members here)
- Yoga: “I’m not flexible.” I have heard that more times than I can count! Can you breathe? Can you move your body? Yoga is for you. It is very common to try a few different styles to find what you love. The benefits are not only the mind-body connection, but overall strength, body control and, yes, flexibility! Try a class or check out YouTube (Alo Moves or lululemon).
- Strength Training: That may sound boring but it can be super fun, empowering and will set you up for strong bones as you age. This is vital for all of us, but especially for women who may be at risk for osteoporosis. Don’t have weights at your home? No problem, you can do so much with your own body weight. You can also invest in a set of light weights from Dicks Sporting Goods or Target! When starting a routine, seek out a professional to get you started and watch your form.
- Zumba: There is something about moving your body to the beat of your favorite music that is very freeing. Bonus–you also burn a bunch of calories and work more muscles than you think! Check out a class in either a large gym or a smaller studio to find the right class for you.
- Pilates Reformer and Mat: Just looking at the Reformer can be daunting, however it is quite magical! Whether you are recovering from an injury or are a seasoned athlete, the Reformer can provide stability that will enable you to move and work in ways you never imagined! You can try a group class or private training if you are new. That is workout that really allows you to get to know your body!
These are just a few ideas of the many different ways you can get your body moving. Try something new! Or if you tried it before and didn’t love it then, try it again. Who knows? You may love it now! Keep yourself open to all of the possibilities out there. Who knows what you will discover.
For more information on any of these options, contact Melissa@treehousefitva.com or click here.
Photo via Google Images