Post written by Grafton DeButts, Vice President of Government Affairs
This past week the Loudoun Board of Supervisors approved a new development that will bring 75 more affordable residences into Loudoun County. Thank you to Supervisors Turner, Briskman, Kershner, Buffington, and Glass for your prioritization of Loudoun’s housing needs through this approval.
The Chamber used this development as an opportunity to publicly reiterate to our community the importance of housing affordability and it’s long-term impact on our community.
Addressing the housing needs in our community will:
- Get business back to full employment. Good, well-paying jobs in Loudoun County are currently going unfilled impacting our local businesses opportunity to succeed and serve their customers.
- Provide more housing for teachers and first responders. Without addressing Loudoun’s continuum of housing, our ability to attract and retain top teachers and first responders will be diminished.
- Attract more economic investment. If access to talent is one of Loudoun’s key economic differentiators, access to housing for that talent is key for to drive future business growth and investment in Loudoun County.
In addition to the 75 new affordable units being added to Loudoun’s affordable housing portfolio, Goose Creek Overlook will also provide a number of benefits for the citizens of Loudoun County. With this development, Loudoun’s residents will also receive:
- A one-mile park and trail along Goose Creek with canoe and kayak landings for public use. This park and trail will replace the current structures on the property with open public space an create a mile of connectivity along the Emerald Trail.
- An investment in the critical transportation needs on Sycolin Road. Goose Creek Overlook will also bring millions of new investment in order to widen Sycolin Road providing more efficient traffic flow and public safety improvements.
- Additional investments in public transportation and bus stops to connect this neighborhood to jobs and shopping throughout the County.
Goose Creek Overlook will continue to move Loudoun closer to providing a full continuum of housing for our workforce and many financial and recreational benefits for our citizens. Thank you to the leadership of the Board of Supervisors that identified the long-term impact that this application will have on the needs of our community.