Thank you to BrewLoco for answering a few of our questions.
Congratulations on being named a finalist for Loudoun’s 2018 Small Business of the Year!
The 24th Annual Loudoun Small Business Awards will be on November 1, 2018 –Tickets/More Info Here
1. Tell us your story of how your company got to where it is today?
Cathy Frye and Mary Battaglia opened Brew LoCo in 2014. This Leesburg, Virginia shop in Lansdowne Town Center helps customers tailor what they drink to what they like, get quality brewing ingredients, learn how to brew, and gather in a community atmosphere focused on artisan, craft, and locally sourced gourmet products and ingredients. In 2018 Cathy and Mary built a brew house inside Brew LoCo, got a brewers license and opened Phase 2 Brewing in 80 square feet at the back of Brew LoCo. Phase 2 Brewing was named for being the next phase of our original business plan.
Guests visit Brew LoCo’s coffee and tea bar before selecting homebrew supplies or filling a growler with house-made craft beer from Phase 2 Brewing, come in for a happy hour pint with a bite from our menu, take home a signature sweet made with tea, or choose something special from our selection of unusual gift items. It is this synergy across diverse offerings that makes Brew LoCo a fun and unique place.
2. What would it mean to you and your company to win a Small Business Award?
As a past SBA recipient, we have enjoyed the “pop” that comes with the recognition of the Chamber and our peers. It’s a blast!
3. If you weren’t running your own business/working at this business, what would you be doing?
Cathy & Mary both might be lying on a beach in Maui. Some days, we just miss the seashore.
4. What book are you reading right now? / What is your favorite book?
Reading IQby Joe Ide
5. If you have 24-hours off, and your family was out of town, what would you do?
Visit other coffee shops or local breweries to say hi to our business friends.
6. What is the smallest thing that has made the largest impact on your business?
7. What did you want to be when you grew up as a child? / What was a childhood dream that you had?
Teacher—Mary now teaches others all about coffee on a daily basis. Writer—Cathy has transitioned from full-time editor to authoring beer recipes that wind up on tap at Phase 2 Brewing & are well enjoyed.Who is the one person that has influenced you the most in your career? Dad.
8. What is your favorite thing about running a business in Loudoun County?
The wide array of people we meet—our customers are amazing.
9. If you’re not in the office where can we find you?
Coffeeshop or brewery
10. What is your favorite weekend activity in Loudoun County?
Taking in the awesome view from Bluemont or Harpers Ferry.