Rafting and Kayaking
Title: Millville to Potoma Wayside
Rivers: Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers
Trip Description: Whether you are an absolute, never-done-it-before whitewater novice or a hardcore, adrenaline-junkie veteran paddler, this is the trip for you! Join your Shenandoah Riverkeeper and Potomac Riverkeeper to run the confluence stretch of the Shenandoah where she merges with the Potomac River. You’ll put in at Millville, hit all the best whitewater in the Harpers Ferry area, and take out at Potoma Wayside (just upstream of the Rt. 340 bridge)—which just so happens to have a gorgeous hidden waterfall where Piney Run spills into the Potomac.
This beautifully scenic paddle will take us down through Bull Falls, the Staircase, past Harpers Ferry National Historic Park, and through the Mad Dog and White Horse Rapids—literally the best whitewater in the Harpers Ferry area. It’s gonna be sooo much fun! Stretches of this paddle are along the Potomac Heritage National Scenic Trail.
But wait! How can stone-cold rookie paddlers hang with the grizzled veteran paddlers wanting to strut their stuff in shredders and play boats? Easy—we’re all running the same water, but with 3 different boat configurations designed for all skill levels:
- Seat in a guided raft: For beginners and less experienced paddlers wanting to experience the thrill, but with a modicum of protection added in, we have contracted with River Riders to provide six-person (including the guide) rafts with expert guides to get you safely down the river. You are not just sitting there watching. You are an integral part of the team with a paddle in hand, working with your guide and fellow raft-mates to navigate your way down the river. Perfect for families, first-timers, and older folks!
- Ducky: Want to be the captain of your own ship but don’t have a ship to captain? Sign up for a River Rider ducky rental! Duckies are inflatable kayaks, incredibly forgiving, and a blast to paddle. Experience whitewater paddling for yourself in a safe and enjoyable environment with lots of paddler friends and raft guides to provide encouragement and assistance, if needed. Too much work? See “Tubing on the Potomac” below if you just want to lay back and soak in a few rays while enjoying a shorter, easy float through some fun rapids. See the “easy float through” option below.
- Shuttle Service: Do you have your own whitewater kayak (sorry, no canoes for this event) and still want to join in the fun? You’re in luck! River Riders is providing shuttle service for our RiverPalooza 2018 event. River Riders’ guides are not responsible for people paddling their own boats. Sign up now so you can say, “Been there, done that, and got the t-shirt too!”
Once we dry off and catch our breath from the trip, we encourage everyone to stop by Harpers Ferry Adventure Center and continue having fun on terra firma. Riverkeepers are planning on camping and everyone will want to check out the new HFAC Brew Pub overlooking the confluence of the Potomac and Shenandoah! Please be sure to secure a campsite or cabin directly through Harpers Ferry Adventure Center (540) 668-9007.
- Lead Riverkeepers:
Mark Frondorf – 571-969-0746 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Dean Naujoks – 336-809-6041 or email@example.com
- Outfitter and Arrival Location:
River Riders, Inc.
408 Alstadts Hill Rd
Harpers Ferry, WV 25425
- Arrival Time: 12:00 PM for paddle trip; anticipated take-out time 4:30 PM
- Paddle Distance: 7 miles
- Skill Level: Beginner to advanced
- Boat Options and Costs (including registration for party):
Ducky rental: $65
Raft: $75 per raft seat
BYOB (Bring Your Own Boat): $35 per boat for the shuttle. WHITEWATER KAYAKS ONLY—NO CANOES. BYOB is not considered part of the guided float
Annual Meeting & Community Leadership Awards
The Loudoun Chamber celebrated it’s Annual Meeting & Community Leadership Awards on January 24th. We honored top business and community leaders and celebrated the success of the Chamber’s 2019 Board of Directors Chair, Lisa Kimball of The Arc of Loudoun, and welcomed in our 2020 Board Chair, Stacey Metcalfe of Inova Loudoun Hospital.
For more information about the awards and to view the full press release click here
Annual Real Estate Event
Stay tuned for 2020 event information this Fall! This event provides access to experts in the housing industry nationwide and locally. While Loudoun outperforms other Virginia counties on most economic measures, we still face many challenges to our future prosperity. Whether it’s our investment in Metro, a housing affordability crisis or attracting a millennial workforce, Loudoun’s challenges demand effective solutions.
On August 17th we will hold our 38th Annual Loudoun Chamber Golf Classic at the award-winning Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf course, The Club at Creighton Farms. This course is one of the finest on the Eastern Seaboard, and is nothing short of spectacular. We are proud to have produced Loudoun County’s premier business golf tournament for the past three decades, and we hope you and your colleagues will join us. For Questions or Sponsorships: Contact: Paige Romanow
For the past 9 years, this casual, networking tournament pairs you and a partner against a field of over 30 two-man teams in a progressive four month tournament. Designed with the busy professional in mind, each event consists of a 9-hole round after work, followed by a short networking reception to get you home in time to put the kids to bed. The team with the lowest cumulative score after four events is the champion.
Small Business Awards
For 25 years, the Loudoun Small Business Awards have been the most prestigious honors celebrating the best small businesses, entrepreneurs and nonprofit organizations in our Loudoun community. Congratulations to all the finalists and winners. Winners were announced in front of a live audience of more than 600 of Loudoun’s top business and community leaders.
Superhero 5k & Kids Fun Run
The Loudoun Chamber is thrilled to present the 6th Annual Superhero 5k & Kids Fun Run! This family-friendly event includes races and events for all ages. The 5k is open to walkers, runners, strollers and pups. Superhero costumes are encouraged!
The Loudoun Chamber will honor local heroes, from Public Safety personnel to ordinary citizens, for their courageous, often lifesaving actions in 2019 at the 35th Annual Valor Awards ceremony. The entire Loudoun County business community will be invited to attend these Annual Valor Awards to help honor these dedicated public servants for their selfless acts of heroism and commitment to protecting our families, our neighbors and our community!